2 Timothy 3:10-17: Living with Jesus as your Lord

Naming Jesus as Lord is the start of a theological commitment. Living as though he is Lord demands day-by-day forgiving, rescuing, and transforming grace.

2 Timothy 3:10-17 https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Timothy+3%3A10-17&version=NIV

I love the theology of Scripture. As I look book on my theoogical formation in reading Graeme Goldsworthy's "According to plan" and learning Biblical theology, it has been much, much more than gathering together the elements of a system of theology. It was profoundly more than getting to know my faith better. I was receiving more than advanced biblical literacy. I was being given a way to think about everything.

I wasn’t simply being educated. I wasn’t just collecting a boatload of theological information. No, something deeper was happening. I was going through a process of heart and life transformation that was deeper and more formative than I understood at that moment. I was changing, and the whole direction of my life, my thoughts about my identity, my definition of meaning and purpose, and where I would look for my inner sense of well-being were changing as well. Everything that I have preached has been written out of the life-altering perspectives I was helped to see from the Word of God in those early and exciting days.

All this gave shape and direction to my life as I did the PTC and then further study at Moore College. The shape of Biblical theology provided the context in which I not only understood the bible and an authentic Christian life, but within which all my decisions would be made. It gave me a reason to get up in the morning and it confronted me with how huge my need for grace was.

This is what Biblical theology is meant to do. The purpose of the doctrine that is revealed in the Word of God is not to produce generation after generation of what I call “theo-geeks.” You know what I mean: egghead biblical academics, who think about things no one else does, who talk in a language no one else understands, and who don’t do many people much good. Here’s the thing we need to be reminded of again and again: the theology of the Word of God was never in tended to be an end in itself, but a means to an end, and that end is a radically transformed life. The purpose of theology is not knowledge but holiness.

Now, think about what the Bible actually is. It’s a grand story of redemption. Maybe it would be better to say that it is a theologically annotated story. It’s a story with God’s essential notes. It is the story of Jesus, who came to offer the one thing you desperately need—grace. Theology that isn’t zealous to promote forgiving and transforming grace, the kind of grace that changes your life, is simply bad theology.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October 23 2017 - Romans 1-2

October 16 2017 - Acts 22

Psalm 143 - 23 December 2017